Tuesday, July 31, 2018

Week 5: St. Anthony's and St. Theresa's - Monday

Angelique (St.Anthony Parish)- Waking up to my first day of Agape I wasn't very sure what to expect. Mass with Father Ross was quick and sweet. Definitely gave us a good start to our day. Quickly eating my breakfast i was eager to go to the Migrant camp. After we went over what to expect we all got into our cars and drove there. Arriving there we saw a lot of simple buildings and a playground to our right. We didn't see the kids immediately however when we were unloading the car a lot of kids ran out to greet us. A group of us went around to the cabins and knocked to see if any of the other kids wanted to come out and play. When I was crafting and making bracelets with the kids a lot of them wanted someone to go and push them on the swings because they didn't have anyone else to push them. When I was sitting with the bracelets and noticed that there was a girl who was deaf. Seeing that I knew sign language she was very eager to have someone to communicate with. Many of the leaders and kids played various games like dodge-ball, soccer, swings making bracelets drawing and so on. We came back to the church and got ready to go tabling.
Jissel (St. Theresa's)- After we came back from the migrant camp we had a quick break and we talked about the game plan for tabling. Since i was a first timer i didn't know what to expect as i have never done anything like this before. On the car ride there i was talking to the other about it and they just gave me tips and tricks. We went to the grocery store. We set up our areas by taping two carts together and placing the banner in front of them. We were then given fliers to hand out to the people and then went to our spots. I was near the entrance of the store and so i got a lot of people who were either in a rush or completely not interested. But the ones who were interested and showed that they cared, gave me hope to not give up. To the people who just brushed me off i made sure to keep a smile on my face and say thank you. I saw an old friend who seemed very eager to help she ran back into the store and asked her dad to purchase cans. I looked into the store and i saw her juggling a couple of cans in her hands. At the end of the day i walked away with a heart full of joy and happy to know that i was part of the change. I was spreading the word.

Thank you for all your generous support and donations! Check back Wednesday night to find out how many families we serve at our food bank. We will be collecting food outside of Bellingham and Ferndale grocery stores next Monday for the last time this summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment