Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Got thirst?

     It has been said that each person we encounter has a different thirst and we have been called upon by God to quench these various thirsts. Today we were sent out to work the fields of farms in Lynden, Washington. First, waking up at 5:30 in the morning was one of the hardest things I have ever had to do. Waking up knowing I was going to be working tedious hours out in the scolding sun did not make this morning any easier. When we arrived on the farm we were directed to pluck the peas off the vines. We worked and worked and worked. Just picture this.. my hands covered in dirt, knees aching in pain, back permanently stiff in the most uncomfortable position, head pulsing almost audibly and forehead dripping of sweat. The drive to go on was almost diminished as the last half an hour rolled around. The pea-picking finally ended just as the realization that the labor work for the day was not over came to surface. When we arrived on the next farm all the strength I had in the morning was nearly depleted. I weeded and weeded till I could not weed anymore and luckily it was lunch time by then. After lunch my smile could not have any bigger; not because the delicious sandwich had ended my hunger but because I knew that I was minutes away from finally taking a shower. After the refreshing, rejuvenating shower had come to an end so had my trembling for the next activity. My family and I had the opportunity to buy and make our dinner with money we earned from working on the farm. To my surprise, I did not get paid minimum wage. All five of us only earned a total of seven dollars and fifty cents! Ludicrous..I know! Well this was enough to make ourselves a nice spaghetti dinner. After dinner we were right off to go visit the camps. At the camps I came across several migrant children. They ranged from two to seventeen years old. My friend, Bubba, and I met this little girl named Maribel. She was sitting in the grass watching over her younger sister and brother. Let me tell you.. they were adorable! Maribel sat there gazing at the other children playing games in her group. Bubba and I noticed this and we offered to take care of her children. She handed them over and went off to play with the others. Bubba and I spent a few hours with the babies and throughout this time exuberant smiles were put on many faces including ours. I had a blast and loved the whole experience. As the day came to a close it was time to reflect on the day. I was sent out by God to give drink to the thirsty. I did this in many ways and some include creating friendships, involving everyone in every activity, sustaining a positive attitude, providing support and sharing my love with all of God's people. By doing this I quenched the thirst for community, assistance, love and acceptance. Living a couple of hours in the life of a migrant worker showed me that there are people out there that work ten times harder and longer than I do in this country receiving the same thing I am in the end and sometimes even less. It has taught me to never take anything for granted because life is harder for many others so always find the good in everything. I need to always find the strength to do even the most unpleasant things in life because I will always have it easier than many others. I hope that others can come to a similar realization.
Angela Lindsey
Sacred Heart Enumclaw

No comments:

Post a Comment