Tuesday, July 16, 2013

St. Catherine's, Day 3

Today, we woke up at five o'clock in the morning to go work at a farm for migrant immersion day. Everyone was super exhausted but we all managed to rise and eat breakfast.
When we got to the farm, we split off into our families and began to work. First, we weeded and hoed the onions. Then, my family, which included Jay, Nate, Siona, Max, and Jack, had to cut the runners off the strawberry plants while Tina, Will, and Hayden planted potatoes. Soon after that, we switched jobs.
After having lunch, we were driven to the YMCA to shower. I bet everyone's minds and body's were screaming, "Showers at last!!!!!" Finally being able to take a shower was very refreshing and cheered everyone up.
When everyone was clean, we headed over to Grocery Outlet to get food for dinner. We had to do this because today was dedicated to us experiencing a migrant workers everyday life. My group had already decided what we were going to make for dinner. Four of us went to Agape last year so we knew what to make and what not to make. So, we grabbed two packages of noodles, marinara sauce, ground beef, and a six pack of Dr. Pepper (which, in my opinion, is absolutely gross).
I think making the dinner was the most fun, even if we had to eat it at three or four. Nate cooked the meat, Max made the noodles, Jay fetched things, and I made the sauce. I have to say that the food was quite good. Other groups made pizza, pasta, and potatoes which also all looked very good.
Everyone played spoons after dinner until it was time to go to visit the migrant workers. Jason turned out to be the master of spoons.
First, though, we had to hand out fliers for the food bank that is happening tomorrow. Then, we gathered at one of the farms. A majority of the girls made lanyards while the boys played dodge ball. I met three lovely girls named Annette, Rosa, and Daniella. I found out that they liked One Direction and that they are good at painting nails. We played volleyball and Hot Potato for a while until all the Agape had to leave.
Now everyone is (yet again) playing spoons.
I had a lot of fun today. I don't know about everyone else, but I realized all the work the migrants do for us. No one ever really realize it though. The least we could do is treat them with the same amount of respect everyone else gets.
-Soraya

No comments:

Post a Comment