Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Solidarity with the Poor

Today was the last day of our Agape Young Adult Week. It has been a very long couple of days, yet at the same time, it has gone by so fast. I have learned a lot and I have grown closer to Christ through the experiences I've had this week. Today, we served at the food bank for the migrant workers in Lynden and it was a blessing to have been a part of it.

For the last couple of days, we have had multiple discussions about what it meant to live in solidarity and how we are to recognize Christ in our brothers and sisters. For me, the food bank was a great opportunity to put into action the different Catholic Social Teachings we have talked about throughout the week. Today’s CST happened to be “solidarity with the poor,” in which we are called to be peacemakers and to love all of God’s children through recognizing each person’s inherent human dignity. As a helper at the food bank, I was challenged to step out of my comfort zone and interact with strangers, many of which may not even speak the same language. Despite the language barrier, the Holy Spirit did His job in making sure I was able to see Christ in all the families who came: from the grandmothers who were able to gather supplies for their neighbors, to children who were picking up food for their families who could not make it to the food bank due to work. In the interactions that I had, no matter how brief, I was able to grow closer to Christ.

As I leave our Agape Young Adult Week, I hope that I am able to keep the experiences and lessons of these last couple of days in mind and the relationships I've built close to my heart. I pray that we may all continue to reflect on all the blessings God has placed in our lives and give thanks, I pray for all those who are struggling, and I pray for all those who have the power to bring justice to all of God’s people, so that all may live with the human dignity God has given us from the very beginning.

Laura

1 comment:

  1. I am SO very glad to hear that you were able to see Christ in everyone that you met! Food banks are such a wonderful opportunity to talk with many different people, and to see Christ through them.
    It warms my heart to hear how God presented Himself to each of you this week, and I pray that He will continue to show you His love throughout the summer!

    Love and prayers,
    Taylor

    ReplyDelete