Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Food Bank Day!

Today we set up the Agape Food Bank at a church in Lynden, WA. To set up for the bank we split up into different groups. Some groups went to the church to move food and clothing out of a storage unit and other groups went to Cash and Carry to buy produce. It was surprisingly hard work setting up for the food bank. We had to carry heavy boxes and bags as well as ration out beans, flour and sugar into individual portions. Needless to say it was exhausting and tedious at the same time. It really put into perspective the work that migrant workers do every single day. They have to pick berries as well as carry heavy bags for hours. Not only do they work hard, but many of them don't get paid adequate wages for the work they do.

By the time we finished setting up for the food bank I was very hungry. Yesterday we lived with only minimal food to experience the lives of migrant workers and I don't think it hit me until today. I was shocked once we finished our lunches to realize that I was actually more hungry after eating then before eating. I soon realized this was not an uncommon phenomenon (being hungry and feel unsatisfied even after eating a full meal). People all around the world go to bed hungry and are never full. It gave me a new respect for Migrant Workers who work all day with hunger in their bellies, yet they still have smiles on their faces and find time to play with their children. In many ways it makes me feel embarrassed to think that I have had everything handed to me here in the United States, yet I still complain that my life is difficult.

The presence of Christ was very powerful at the food bank today. I saw many "miracles" in the sense that God definitely was moving in profound ways and had answered the prayers of his children. We had 57 families come to the food bank and we never ran out of donated food. That was in many ways the first miracle I saw today. People gave so generously to support the food bank despite never interacting with any of the people who received the food. The holy spirit had definitely been working in peoples hearts for them to give so much to support those who have so little. The second miracle was when a women named Ruth came to the food bank. She showed up after most of the families had come and she didn't even know the food bank was happening. I really do think she was led to the food bank by God. She kept saying how good Jesus is and how he always provides no matter what she is going through. It was clear she needed the support and was shocked she was actually receiving free food and clothing. The last miracle I saw was by the way my fellow young adults worked together for the sake of others. It was really hot outside and we were all tired and hungry, but no one complained. They all had big smiles on their faces and you could see the love of Jesus radiating from them as they served the migrant workers. It is such a blessing to have people my age who love God.

Today and this whole Agape Service Project has been eye opening and holy spirit led. I have grown closer to God in new ways and have experienced the love of being in community with others and Christ. The whole experience has been a testimony to the fact that God is real, he works in mysterious ways and is love for us is never ending.

-Justin H.

No comments:

Post a Comment