Friday, June 22, 2012

Finishing up the week

My week at Agape has been incredible. I literally found out about Agape on three days before it started on Sunday night, and I’m so grateful that I decided to come, and was able to be a part of it. Living out the corporal works of mercy, or Cwoms as we called them, gave me new insight into how we are all called to share Agape love, Christ’s love, and Serve one another through it.

Before each morning reflection, we prayed a prayer from Blessed Mother Teresa saying,
“Lord, open our eyes, that we may see you in our brothers and sisters. Lord open our ears, that we may hear the cries of the hungry, the cold, the frightened, the oppressed. Lord open our hearts, that we may love each other as you love us. Renew in us your spirit. Lord free us and make us one.”
Throughout the week as we moved through the different activities of each day, I came to see each part of this prayer. Summarizing this whole week is hard, because there are so many activities that I want to write about. Our morning prayer wraps through the whole week and everything we did, so I’m going to write about how each part played a role in my week.
 “Open our eyes…”

Three times during the week we had the opportunity to interact directly with the migrant workers that we were serving. Whether this was through playing with the children, talking to the adults and teenagers, or during the food bank, each provided its own way in which we could see Christ in our brothers and sisters. My eyes were opened to a community of people that I was given the opportunity to show love to. Also, while working alongside the other members of Agape, I was able to see the Jesus in each and every one of them.


                “Open our ears…”


Each morning and evening we reflected on the corporal work of mercy for the day. During these reflections, I learned how the corporal works weren’t just the literal sense, where we gave food to the hungry, or clothes to the naked, but how each had a deeper meaning. Once I understood this, I was able to open my own ears, so that I could better hear the cries of the hungry, the cold, and the oppressed.


                “Open our hearts…”


Each day, I felt such a desire to be able to share the love of Jesus. I wanted to keep the joy of Jesus in my heart, and as my strength, so I smiled while collecting food for the food bank, I played with the kids at the camp, talked with the teenagers. I wanted to be able to love each as Jesus loved me. However, as much as Agape gave me the opportunity to practice sharing Christ’s love, I was also able to receive it. Throughout the week, I felt so loved by so many people. The other members of Agape, the migrants that I served, even the people who donated food during the food drive,  all showed me love.


“Renew in us your spirit…Lord free us and make us one.”


After spending a week in solidarity with the other members of the Agape service trip, I really do feel my spirit renewed in Christ. With the opportunity to step outside of my usual life and routine, to experience new things, meet new people, and build new relationships, I felt joy and love. There were times when I was tired, when tasks were hard, when I wanted to stop, but the power of the Agape love that was all around me kept me strengthened.
Going into this week, I had no idea what to expect, but after finishing the journey through Agape 2012, I’m so glad I made the decision to come. The love and joy I experienced was truly remarkable.
-Kaitlyn R.

                “Joy is prayer. Joy is strength. Joy is love, a net of love by which you can catch souls.”
                ~Blessed Mother Teresa

No comments:

Post a Comment