Tuesday, August 7, 2018

Week 6: Holy Redeemer - Tuesday


Hi Friends!

Today at Agape it was migrant immersion day! We started the day off this morning at 5am and headed out to work at the farms at around 6:30am. We were picking weeds and working on the farms for about 3 hours. It was an eye opening experience, realizing how hard this migrant workers work in order to keep the crops growing. We only worked for 3 hours and we were all exhausted and tired by the end, crazy to think people are doing this everyday for hours and hours. After farm work we did a dinner activity where we were put into "families" and received wages that we would get if we were actually migrant workers and then had to go to the grocery store and buy food to feed our family for the rest of the day. The fact migrant workers have to live off these wages are unbelievable and it really made me realize how I take for granted the fact I have 3 meals everyday and a roof over my head. To end the day we went to Sunrise Camp and played with all the kids which was very enjoyable. We did water games today and all the kids had a lot of fun. Today was a very
busy and long day and I'm ready for some sleep and am super excited for the food bank tomorrow!

Goodnight Friends!
- Ella Levy



08/07/2018

Today was the first morning of my 2018 summer where I had to wake up before the sun had fully risen. This was absolutely well worth it, as we were up early to head to Growing Veterans, which is a local farm located right outside of Lynden, Washington. We arrived at 7am exactly, and even though we were all dragging just a little, I could tell everyone was excited for our work shift today. Majority of our morning was spent pulling weeds in the pumpkin patch and cleaning up around the greenhouse. I personally, continued to get to know my fellow missionaries while working, and I definitely got to learn more about those who are on the Agape Service trip with me.
After eating lunch, we headed straight to the YMCA for our first shower of the trip. Not being able to shower for a few days has really made me appreciate the shower that I have at home.  The first activity we had after showering, was shopping for tonight's dinner. The activity, in short, was that we were assigned a "family" and we were given money to go purchase food in Grocery Outlet. My group was given 5 dollars exactly, to buy enough food to last us for the rest of the day... it was noon.
We purchased white rice, a can of corn, pork beans, and a box of granola bars. This shopping experience was extremely eye opening and humbling, as this is what migrant workers may experience every single day. As I write this, it is 9pm and the last time I have had anything to eat was at 2pm. Today has really given me an opportunity to step into a migrant workers shoes, and experience some of the daily struggles that they go through. I have really realized the things I may take for granted, like 3 home cooked meals a day and the ability to shower every day. We ended the evening playing with the young kids at one of the local migrant farms. Tomorrow we are putting on our food bank and I am beyond excited to see all the families we can greatly impact with the donations.


Thanks for listening,
Caden Wengler










No comments:

Post a Comment