Sunday, August 3, 2014

Week 7: St. Anthony's and St. Joseph's- Sunday

This is Lena and Joe, two students from St. Joseph's:

(Lena) We are at the Agape Service project, and we find it enjoyable. The Icebreakers that the camp directors used included what our favorite pizza flavor was, "Slap Clap" game, and reflection with an assigned group. There are two parishes in the program, one is the aforementioned St. Joseph, and the other is Saint Anthony's. Both schools have their own groups, ways, and friends, but we are slowly starting to warm up to each other. Many others were sharing why they signed up, their strengths and weaknesses, and what had they given up for the week. In Agape, young adults will learn about migrant workers and their perils, as well as learning to serve and make meals for themselves. It is a truly educating experience


(Joe) Bonding with the other kids has been a blast so far. As I was in the car riding to the parish I was thinking about howwhe would learn the struggles of migrant workers. I thought, "Would we have to starve?", "How many hours will we be working?", "Am I even going to be able to behave like a normal child?" All of these thoughts raced through my mind as the car pulled into the parish. My parents had tried to make me as prepared as possible. They had packed literally everything you could possibly pack for this trip. But one thing I was never prepared for was having to be social to new people that I was going to meet. You can't pack for something like that. I learned that I was going to have to make meals for a "family" of 5 one day with only $5. When I learned that, at first I was a little nervous, but then I thought "I'll just buy DiGiorno's."

No comments:

Post a Comment