Wednesday, August 8, 2012

(Tuesday) Migrant Immersion Day

Today was a very unique day. One where we got the oportunity to have almost like a simulation of a life of a migrant worker. This morning we awaken at o'dark thirty (or 5:15 am) and got ready to head to farms and start working at 7. My group went to a very sweet amd humbling mans farm, named Sam, and got to weed and take care of the fruits and vegtables. My small group specifically was incharge of clipping off  the "runners" from the strawberries to help them grow. After much tedious work of clipping and pulling some weeds along the way, we finally finished after completing all 13 or so rows. Talk about "Strawberry Fields Forever"! After we were awarded 2 delicious strawberries. It was such a humbling experience because we got to full on experience the physical labor these people endure daily. We were fortunate enough to sleep in some, unlike the migrants who wake up much earlier, and only had to work for 4 hours. After finding out after all that hard work that we had only really earned $4.50, I couldn't help but feel a sudden wave of frustration. How is it possible that after my shoes and socks being soked, my pants getting all dirty, I had to wake up so early, and I had to do the one thing I hate most and with a passion (weeding) I had managed to make only $4.50! For me, the money didn't really matter because that's not why we went to the farm, but the fact that these people have to wake up much earlier and work for much longer and probably make less than $20 a day was unbelievable to me! The only word I could think of was "unfair". I can imagine their frustration. And yet, when you meet them, they are the most amiable people ever. Why? To see how strong the Holy Spirit is in these people is probably one of the most rewarding experiences I could see in my life, and I'm only 16. I hope that one day I was be equally as blessed with such a gift. Although my back is extremely stiff now and sore, I'm glad I got the opportunity to go out and at least try and do some of the work these humbling, but lessfortunate people, get to experience daily.
                                -Daniella N.

No comments:

Post a Comment